Our school curriculum
We are currently redeveloping our school curriculum to reflect our cultural narrative. We have a place-based learning programme in place and all students visit sites of cultural significance in our area.
As a values driven school our curriculum is designed to meet the social and emotional needs of our students together with their academic requirements and personal interests.
Children as individuals
To enhance learning opportunities for all children by recognising each child’s unique individuality, academic, social and cultural strengths and interests.
- To heighten self-awareness and enhance self-esteem through acceptance of each child’s individual contribution to the life of the school (therefore creating a “safe learning” environment).
- To encourage our children to be responsible for their own individual learning and behaviour within the our Poutama Ako programme.
- To encourage every child to express their individuality appropriately in a wide range of settings.
Practical learning experiences
To enhance learning across the Curriculum with the use of Education programmes that include outdoor education, various cultural experiences and sport.
- To provide a wide range of Outdoor Education programmes using the expertise within and outside the school. ( eg. beach education, camps, picnics, walks and day trips).
- To provide opportunities for all children to participate in programmes and activities that they may not normally be involved in (eg. performing arts, skiing, cultural groups).
- To provide opportunities for involvement in a wide range of sports.
Open school with community involvement
To have an open school policy where parents, friends and the wider community feel that they are an essential part of the school life.
- To give parents/caregivers a sense of belonging to our school community.
- To maintain a positive partnership between home and school.
- Parents, friends and the wider community feel that they are an essential part of the school life.